Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan
From: John Rader <k5xtx@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:49:39 -0800 (PST)
I checked the case temperature before during and after a 5 minute continuous
key-down @ 450 watts into a dummy load. The results; recorded with a Raytek
infrared thermometer:
*before; case intake 95 degrees F, case exhaust 115 degrees F.
*during; intake 95 degrees, exhaust 121 degrees F
*1 minute after; intake 95 degrees F, exhaust 118 degrees F
*5 minutes after; intake 95 degrees F, exhaust 116 degrees F
John K5XTX

Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net> wrote:
Hi,

I lost the message that I am referring to. Someone said they put a
resistor in series with the fan motor in order to make it run quieter.
How do you determine that there is still sufficient air flow to properly
cool the tubes? What about in a warmer time of year? What if you (or
future owner of the amplifier, or would it be ampli-fire) moved to a
higher altitude QTH and left the resistor in circuit? I understand the
desire to make the amplifier run quieter, but obviously there are other
important considerations. You could just disconnect the fan altogether
and it would be silent, but of course then it would not perform it's
intended purpose.

DE N6KB