[TenTec] Wish the sidetone volume stayed constant

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Wish the sidetone volume stayed constant
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:46:30 -0500
K4IA wrote:
>Don't you change volume when you put on the phones?

        Buck, I ALWAYS use headphones...never the
speaker.  Ten-Tec could have omitted my speaker
and I would never have known it.  Maybe that's
my solution to the "headphone jack ID problem",
I always have them plugged in.  ;-)

>Or need to dig a weak signal out?

        Very often.  But I don't do that by turning
up the AF Gain.  I'm more likely to turn DOWN
RF Gain to find the S/N sweet spot as noted in
my previous comments to NT1Y about Threshold.

>Just a different approach I am not used to.

        As I've said many times, Orion's Digital AGC
is fantastic, but it can be counterintuitive until
you learn to use it properly.  "Orion is not your
Father's radio" to paraphrase Scott.

73, Bill W4ZV