RE: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:09:17 +0100

All of you guys with your technical work-around are forgetting
one very important thing.

A contester uses his/her own rig with his/her amp.  That's one
case.  That's the only case you guys have addressed.

We also work with other ops in multi-single, multi-two, and
multi-multi contest operations.
Here lots of hams bring their equipment and you don't always know
which transceiver will be used with which amp.  When something
breaks, you swap stuff.  If the Ten-Tec rig does not work exactly
like all the others, you are not only stuck with a problem, but
you also influence many other "potential" Ten-Tec buyers not to
buy an Orion.

You can have the case where the Ten-Tec op, who may know how to
use one our technical work-around, is off in another room
operating another station and nobody in the room where the
problem is knows how to connect the Ten-Tec.

Read the book?  Our operations often have Germans, Americans,
Russians, Dutch, etc. working on the same team.  Given enough
time, most of them can probably read the book and sort it out.
Time is a luxury we don't have in a contest.

Ten-Tec can and should build all the gimmicks into their rigs
which make them better, but they should also be able to integrate
to non-Ten-Tec equipment in the normal way.  That's what we
contesters want and expect.

73
Rick