RE: [TenTec] Comparison Orion vs TS850 ?

To: <dh0ghu@dh0ghu.de>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Comparison Orion vs TS850 ?
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:37:54 +0100
Ulrich,

I can answer some of the questions - though sorry, I have not had
a chance to compare the 850 to the Orion.
I have only compared it to an ICOM IC-746 and an Elecraft K2.

The ORION has provisioning for transverter operation (it's
described on page 27 of the operating manual which is available
for download online).
Also, the ORION uses the same keying as all of the Ten-Tec's
which means it has the "TX-Out" and "TX-En" for keying a full
break-in linear.  I believe the Acom also has compatible
circuitry.  I assume you mean QSK CW because for SSB there is no
problem connecting any Tcvr to any Amp.

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about how the ORION compares
to the TS-850.  The ORION is a very quiet and sensitive radio.
Its filters are superb and match the quality of the Inrad.  I
won't promiss it is more sensitive than the 850 but as you
stated, many Jap rigs are "Overkill Sensitive".   The ORION is
sensitive enough on the high bands.  The only problem I foresee
is that once you trade one TS-850 for an ORION, you will quickly
want to trade the second one and then it is expensive (hi).

For portable use, the ORION is almost too big and there the
TS-850 is better.  I guess having one of each is not such a bad
idea after all!

As for compatibility with HEIL, well Ten-Tec sells a "Studio One"
Heil microphone.  The Link below describes it.  So, the mike
works for sure.  The Heil headset you have will have to be a
stereo headset.  That's a requirement for the ORION.  If that's
the case, it should be no problem.

http://www.tentec.com/studio1.htm

73
Rick