[TenTec]Solid State Amps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec]Solid State Amps
From: Ynkedragon@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:50:25 EST
In a message dated 12/8/2003 18:57:47, wn3vaw@fyi.net writes:

<< I would also respectively disagree with the notion that an amplifier that

gives you 500 W out for 4 W input on 10 meters is automatically assumed to

be a "CB" amplifier.   Would it raise some eyebrows?  Sure, but if you have

a QRP rig and you want to go QRO that way... why not?  (Not my cup of tea,

but not everyone likes tea the way I do.)

I do believe that some of the old E.F. Johnson amplifiers had power gains of
this magnitude (i.e. 5 to 10 watts drive gave about 1KW plate input power
(typically 600~650 watts out.)   Some of those old beauties are still going
strong, too.  {For more information, see the AM and Boat-Anchor forums--or find
some
old ARRL handbooks and read the ads in the back of the book. }