Re: [TenTec] Orion and MIKEs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and MIKEs
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:22:18 -0600
> Also, there needs to be a 0.01 cap put across the mic audio hot pin to
> pin#2 (ground) to help reduce RFI. One Orion owner even put a 0.01
cap
> from the PTT pin to ground.

I run the legal limit, with the antennas quite close to the radio room, and
have never had any RF feedback problems, and haven't had to tack caps
anywhere.  The one problem I had was in an external piece of audio
gear, but the radio has been consistently clean.

It is not atypical to have the audio ground at a slightly different potential
than power ground.  This has been the case in a couple of rice-flavored
radios that have been in the shack from time to time.  If the mic on the
Orion is wired per directions, there should be no problem with RF getting
in that route, and it should not be necessary to add anything.

If RF really is getting in via an (unshielded) PTT line, then it seems to me
the problem most likely has a lot more to do with a dirty RF environment
that could use some work than with the radio.

Grant/NQ5T