Re: [TenTec] ORION Audio problems discovered

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION Audio problems discovered
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:26:09 -0600
When I first go the Orion, my Heil ProSet (HC5 "natural" element)
wouldn't drive it unless I ran the mic gain at 9.  Later, after doing a
master reset to clear what may have been an operator error, the mic level
only required a 4 or 5 level.  Processing at 1-2.  It hasn't reverted to
requiring more, although the TX audio seems to have an ALC on it with a
long decay - it will peak to 100W and then drop off.  Not sure what
that's all about.

        73,  Duane

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:30:04 -0500 "Larry Emery" <k1uo@prexar.com>
writes:
> Well, the weekends contest brought out a couple problems I had not
> previously noted on my ORION.  Probably because 99% of my operating
> was either listening to SSB or operating CW!     All noted with
> version 1.363 installed at the time.
> I discovered a constant Hiss and tinny sound in the audio monitor
> that, no matter what settings I used, I just could NOT get rid of.
> did discover a master reset would clear up this anomily for a while
> but eventually it came back.
>
> I also discovered that ,when using the HEIL Proset Plus with this
> rig,
> I could NOT drive the mic circuit enough to even flicker the ALC
> light
> without turning on the Processor.  Also, the onboard analog meter
> did
> not even come close to following the transmitted voice.  It bounced
> erratically from nearly full scale steady to a slow decline toward
> zero (almost like a static drainoff response) and I could never
> correlate it to my actual speech into the mic.  I wonder what type
> headset people are finding acceptable with the ORION?
>
> This morning after loading formware version 1.365 , I discovered
> the
> transmitted audio was now actually distorting, could hear the much
> worse audio in the monitor (through the tinny sound and Hiss)  and
> promptly received on air reports immediately confirming what I was
> hearing.
> I reported this information to Ten-Tec and they also suggested I
> send
> in the ORION ....which I have reluctantly done.
>
> I can recall someone else posting an audio board problem on one of
> the
> ORION reflectors but was not able to find if it was the same
> problem.
>
> As far as the receiver performed during this weekend's contest
> activities...AWESOME!!!!!!
>
> I'll post whatever Ten-Tec finds.
>
> Larry K1UO

Duane Calvin, AC5AA