Re: [TenTec] Re: Fw: It looks like BPL is being offered inManassas,VA

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Fw: It looks like BPL is being offered inManassas,VA
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:26:50 -1000
> Notably he told me that about all the power lines in Manassas are
> UNDERGROUND!  That's a pretty darned unfair test if it is a test. . .
.

It is not a test;  in about 120 days,  the folks of Manassas will
be able to buy BPL  "high speed" internet access via their
AC outlets at home for some $30 per month.  Seems the city
of Manassas stands to receive a nice share of the income from
the system over the next many years.  The Mayor of the town
sounds very enthusiastic, per the article.  Even talking about
lowering the property, or other taxes on the citizens according to
the newspaper piece!  So another official waxes enthusiastic
about the system.  Those selling BPL to utilities and municipalities
don't seem to be missing a single selling feature/benefit about
this new "wonder".

No hint of this system yet out here in Hawaii where the cable TV
companies and Verizon (who bought out the Hawaiian Tel
GTE system a few years ago) are offering such higher speed
interconnects.  Cannot imagine the electric utility here on Kauai
becoming interested in this;  still way in debt over the reconstruction
from Hurricane Iniki 11 years ago.  Hmmm,  unless they get the
idea they can get more income from such a system after the
installation costs.  No,  just not a big enough potential customer
base;  folks who want the higher speed access can already get
it now via the two systems above.

73,  Jim  KH7M