Re: [TenTec] TT 238B ?s...

To: johnclif@ix.netcom.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 238B ?s...
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:43:16 -1000
Hi John,

From what I understand, both the LDG and 238 are L-tuners, which means they
have one optimum setting... is this right?

Since an L network has only two adjustable circuit elements (one L, and one C), and there are two antenna system characteristics (resistance and reactance) that you are adjusting the network to transform, there is only one possible set of coeficients (settings of L and C) in the equation that are a solution. So, yes this is right.

But, is there a better way given
that I can measure the antenna's capacitance and inductance directly?

Actually it is one or the other, not both, and the RF-1 doesn't know which.

Can I
not 'dial out' these using the capacitor and inductor controls on the 238
(obviously measuring with the analyzer)?

If you calibrated the inductance and capacitance setting dials on the tuner so that you would would know what amount of capacitance you get at any setting of the knob and switch, and you knew what amount of inductance you get any setting of the inductor dial, then you could use the measurements from the Autek and a little math (or graphical methods) to find out exactly where to set the knobs for a good match. Alternately, if you were using it on just one frequency you could calibrate the dials in Capacitive Reactance and Inductive Reactance, instead of capacitance and inductance. Even if you did this, I suspect that you would still need to fine tune it after you got it set to the calculated settings for the load you are matching to.

I'm trying to understand antennas, and tuners, and the 238, and the RF-1 a
little better.  Any help would be appreciated.

Something else you could try: Measure the Z of the antenna system with the RF-1 at the end of the coax that will be plugged into the antenna port of the tuner. Then connect a 50 ohm termination (a good noninductive dummy load) to the transceiver port on the tuner. Connect the RF-1 to the antenna port of the tuner and adjust the tuner so that you read the same Z. There will be two settings that get this Z. One will be positive X and the other with a negative X. Then remove the RF-1, connect the antenna, remove the termination and connect the RF-1 to the transceiver port of the tuner. It should now read Z = 50 ohms resistance and SWR = 1:1, if you picked the correct one of the two settings. Problem is that the RF-1 does not tell you whether the X part of Z is plus or minus. And when you push the C or L button it calculates how much capacitance or inductance it would take to make that reactance. Only one of them is correct, because the X is either + or - , not both.

Also... has anyone had any experience with the new LDG 1000w PEP autotuner?
Does anyone think there would be a market for a full-gallon autotuner that
went for around $1200 or so?

I think there is a market for full power tuners, both manually tuned and auto tune. I don't know whether it would be a marketing success at that $. I sure wish that there was a standard for power ratings on tuners. Most of the "1500 and 3000 watt" tuners made lately, I would rate at about 300 watts.

Have fun,

Ken N6KB