[TenTec] Omni VI+ PC commands help

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI+ PC commands help
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 07:23:53 2003
Trying to get the computer to talk to the Omni VI and the Plus can be a first
class pain. But it can be done.

First, go though the rigs menus and set the port (default should be 4 but you
can set it to anything as long as you know what it is) and baud rate (I
generally use 2400 or 4800 depending on the computer).

Next open the software and set the port and baud rate to agree with the rig,
and 8 bits, no parity bit, 1 stop bit. That's probably 8,n,1 in the software.
Make absolutely sure you set the COM port you have the level converter hooked
to, because it sure won't work if it's not.

Next, either use the Ten Tec level converter between the rig's serial port or
an accessory level converter. PDA (www.hosenose.com)  has a good one, look
for one for an IC-735.  I recommend the one from PDA since it connects to the
computer's serial port and plugs in the serial port minijack directly under the
speaker jack.

And after all that, I have a couple of software programs that are supposed to
communicate with the VI+ - and don't.  Ten Tec use the IC735 command set and
that always seems to work, regardless of program.

This should get you going.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E