[TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DC Power Supply Backup
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 21 16:25:14 2003
Bill, W4ZV wrote:

"I often get short power glitches since I am in a rural location and am
concerned about getting resets on Orion since I understand it takes
awhile to reboot (how long?)"
----------
I just checked, and it takes about 12 seconds for the Orion to boot
during a power-up.

My 22-amp power supply will trip off/on if I'm transmitting into a high
SWR (where the PA transistors draw more current), causing the radio to go
through a reboot.  Your 35-amp Astron should be plently to avoid the
problem I have.

"I'm thinking of getting a small battery (motorcycle) to place between
the RS-35M and Orion.  This would stay fully charged and might help
prevent unwanted resets by brief power glitches."
Sounds like that might work, but if I was concerned about power glitches
I would probably get a suitable UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that
are made for computer use and connect the RS-35M to that.

73, de Earl, K6SE