[TenTec] Perspective on RX-340, Collins R390A and Halli. SX-28

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Perspective on RX-340, Collins R390A and Halli. SX-28
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Thu Jan 23 16:51:55 2003
Tim, I qualify for the historical perspective part since I started in
1945 with a Hallicrafter's S-20R and have used or owned just about
everything you mentioned plus a lot more. It would take more time than
I can spare to answer your questions, so don't think that I am just
blowing this off. But, the best way for you to get a feeling for these
older rigs is to find out who in your area has one and go listen to
it. Words cannot really describe what the older National and Collins
and Hammarlund receivers sounded like with really quality AM stations
on the other end.

But, take heart that your PRO2 sounds - at least through my external
audio system I have described to you in detail, mine sounds at least
as good as any of the older rigs I have owned or used. There is just
no comparison in how much *BETTER* today's radios are than those old
war horses of the 40's and on up.

The only way to go is up and the cost keeps going down in terms of
performance and capability. Compare the price of the National HRO-5TA1
that I had in 1946 - cost $300 in 1946 $$ - with what you paid for
that PRO2, even if you had bought it new. Then compare what you have -
complete station in one neat little cabinet - against only a receiver
with plug-in coils, external speaker and external power supply. And
performance about an octave below what we get today . . .

Nope, my friend, you are living in the golden age, despite the fond
memories of the old coots like me who still remember "the old days." I
sure wouldn't go back . . .

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe
K2 #489  IC-765 #2349 IC-756 PRO  #2121 IC-756 PRO2 #3235