[TenTec] Receivability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Receivability
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:18:46 -0500
Hi, George,

> Is this what you are referring to? Or do you want to be able to hear
> only the "single (no hyphen) signal" that you are working or listening
> to, all others being excluded?

The latter.  Strictly the latter.

> If the former, I have found that filter bandwidth has little to do
> with"the other side." Any good filter should have adequate rejection
> for that task almost without regard to its passband width.

Tell that to an FT-817 with only the stock SSB filter.  (Yuck!)

> If the latter, then I can appreciate your desire to use the narrowest
> possible filter. I frequently use 50 and 100 Hz IF DSP filters on my
> PRO when the going gets really rough!  <:}

That's exactly what I mean, and I am referring to both SSB and CW.  I
consider a narrow SSB filter to be the best QRM fighting tool on SSB and
a 250Hz or narrower filter to be a must for me on CW.  Narrower is
better provided it doesn't ring or become impossibly hollow sounding.

72/73,
Caity
KU4QD