[TenTec] Scout Help

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Help
From: wb2vuf@qsl.net (Bwana Bob)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 22:17:57 -0400
Hi, Allen,

Both of the conditions that you describe are normal. I don't know what
causes the SSB "sidetone", maybe rectification in the audio stages.

The PTO will be stiff because the slug is driven by a screw and there is
also spring tension on the slug to keep it from shifting around. There
are nylon spacers on the spring shaft to set the tension. I never had
the desire to mess with this. I used a lubricant on the screw, but a PTO
will always be stiffer than a capacitor or optical encoder with
"flywheel tuning" (Historical note: Ten Tec, Collins, and Drake used
PTO's, instead of variable capacitor VFO's).

                                73,

                                Bob WB2VUF