[TenTec] Orion Aesthetics Comment

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Aesthetics Comment
From: k4sqr@juno.com (Jim Miller)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:42:50 -0500
K9OM & readers;

Just returned from viewing the Orion at Charlotte Hamfest. I am
disappointed in its cosmetics.
Its black case is awful. Reason for black: to "break away from the Omni
image" was the answer.
The Omni V, VI and VI plus are excellent transceivers IMO. I owned two
"V"s and am on my second VI Plus. Because the Orion does not physically
resemble the gray Omni's, there is no reason why it should not be Gray as
well.
I concur with the comments below: black shows dust & lint overnight.
And an American Manufacturer should continue setting its equipment apart
from JA boxes. The Orion should not look like a JA rig, as it certainly
does in person. Furthermore, the opinion of Ten-Tec owners were similar
to mine after they saw the Orion today.

Could not get an answer as to how the new and nicely designed S-Meter is
driven.

My 564 Omni VI Plus may last me a lot longer than expected, because I
have no intention of spending $3300. on a rig that looks like it came
from Japan. If I wanted a "black box", I would take advantage of the
$500. coupon and buy a 200 watt Yaesu Mark V FT-1000 Yaesu for $2500.

73,
Jim, K4SQR
A Ten-Tec user since 1975.
Charlotte, NC