[TenTec] Weird Jupiter Xmit Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Weird Jupiter Xmit Problem
From: ka8jxg@callsign.net (Carl J. Denbow)
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:08:23 -0400
On Sat, 7 Jul 2001 04:57:37 EDT, K6atz@aol.com wrote:

>Carl,
>
>Ben's absolutely right, that's RF getting into the radio.  If you're
>using
>the remote it may be getting in that way.  You may even be able to
>affect it
>by putting your hand on the side of the remote while it's happening.
> Anyway,
>just unplug everything - remote, computer cable, etc. - and work
>through this
>by process of elimination.
>
>Keep cables short, reposition everything, try ferrite beads on the
>cables if
>you have to.  And while you're at it, as long as I have the podium:
>break up
>ground loops in the transmission line with coiled coax or line
>isolators in
>the appropriate places, use a short ground strap to a very deep and
>isolated
>ground rod, and connect all straps between your equipment to one
>central
>point on your tuner or the rig instead of connecting them at
>different points
>along the main strap.
>
>There recently was a long thread on this subject here on this list.
>Ten-Tec
>rigs are notoriously sensitive to RF.  And when you also have
>connections to
>a computer and other accessories there are that many more avenues
>for it to
>get into the radio.
>
>Here come the passions:  "It's the price we pay for the superior
>features in
>the rest of the radio!"  But my Jupiter did the exact same thing,
>and my
>Pegasus actually shut itself down at one point.....yet when I placed
>my 1984
>Yaesu FT-102 with remote VFO, external speaker, and everything else
>in the
>exact same postions as my Jupiter setup, the '102 basically just
>said "What
>RF?".....   (I'm going to duck now.)
>
>Joe, K6ATZ
>
>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec

Thanks, Ben and Joe, et al:

A few hours after I wrote my message to the list, the problem
disappeared just as mysteriously as it had arisen.  I will, however,
try the suggestions on grounding, line isolation, etc. that were
given if this problem reappears.  The only thing that I had changed
in the shack when this problem started was to add an external speaker
to the Jupiter.  It's a Kenwood SP-950 speaker that I modified with
two back to back transformers (as described on this list a month or
so ago) for ground isolation and to convert a 8 ohm speaker for 4 ohm
input.  The speaker works beautifully.  I do have a lot of extra
speaker wire (not shielded) that could be "cropped" off and still
connect the rig and speaker.  Doesn't sound like a like possibility
for RF entry, but trimming and shielding this might be worth the try.
 What do you guys think?

73

Carl
Carl J. Denbow