[TenTec] Re: More info on Hash sound in Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: More info on Hash sound in Scout
From: Bill_Ames@hyperion.com (Bill_Ames@hyperion.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:38:05 -0400

That problem with the up tone is not really a problem. I to noticed it when I
purchased the Scout. And I complained to TT. However my experience testing
instrumentation amps in the late 60s was helpful. There is a tone in the RX
chain but it is at a very very low level. If you listen with headphones that are
fairly sensitive you will hear it, even if the RX signal is at listening levels.
However, if you attenuate the sensitivity of the head phones (use a Radio Shack
headphone with a volume control) and then increase the volume on the Scout you
will not hear this tone. Why? Because you have amplified the signal but the tone
is constant, just a fixed background noise. This is not a problem.

Bill Ames
KB1LG