[TenTec] 'New' Triton IV / 540 questions/comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 'New' Triton IV / 540 questions/comments
From: N4NT@charter.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 12:33:23 -0500
See Below . . .

----- Original Message -----
From: <streyle_john@si.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2000 10:31 AM

> 1st:  However, is there any way of refinishing the front panel?  Mine's
pretty
> 'worn', and TT says new ones aren't available (not surprising.)

** Probably your only shot is to find someone with an old one they would
part with.

> 2nd:  The receiver seems kinda weak on receive - the calibrator doesn't
even
> move the s-meter.  Is the RF amp mosfet the likely cause?  I've been thru
most
> of the alignment, which helped a bit; but not enough.  TT service told me
over
> the phone that either the mosfet, or the protection diodes were typically
the
> problem.  (Even at that, I've been able to work some decent DX on 80 & 40
CW,
> with just an inverted V)

** There is a slide switch on the back panel which switches the receiver
antenna between transceive and a separate receive antenna jack on the rear
panel.  Make sure this switch is in the correct position -- then wiggle it
back and forth enough times to clean its contacts.  Those things are
notorious for getting dirty.

** If that doesn't work, then look on the schematic for back-to-back diodes
across the receiver circuitry's antenna input.  These diodes are present to
protect the receiver from voltage spikes, but sometimes the way they protect
it is to short out, which makes the receiver seem pretty near dead.  While
you are in there, replace the diodes in the ALC detection circuitry.  If
they go bad, funky stuff can happen on transmit.

> 3rd:  I'd like to try 160M.  Does anyone have the 160 adapter (for a
Triton)
> they'd like to sell?  Appearance not important; must be functional, or at
least
> easily repairable.  I'm not collecting, just want a moderate priced way to
get
> on the air.  Price IS important.

** I've got one around here somewhere, but no telling where.  I moved a few
months ago and have not found everything.  Check me in a few weeks if you
haven't found one.

> 4th: Not a question - I stumbled across this mail reflector by accident,
but I
> really like what I've found.  This is a nice resource for TT info & tips;
and
> the attitude displayed is refreshing, compared to the newsgroups. I'm not
sure
> how much I can contribute to the group.  Still getting used to a
full-break-in
> CW rig - but it's a nice change from the other radios I've used.  Sorry if
I'm
> bringing up old questions - if they're answered in the mail archives, let
me
> know which month/year.  Too much there to search through all of them.

** Often it helps when operating QSK to reduce your RF Gain to get rid of
background noise.

> 5th:  TT service told me that the vox unit in the power supply doesn't
work, and
> never really has.  Ok, so I disconnected it.  Had some 'rf in the mike'
problems
> before that.  Anyway, with all that available space in the power supply
> (formerly occupied by the VOX board), it looks like a neat place for a
keyer.
> Has anyone tried this?  With what results?  Any advice as to circuitry or
> shielding?

** Ten-Tec told you right about the VOX circuitry.  It was apparently not
designed to work in the presence of RF.  Imagine that . . .

********** BEWARE **********

** The 262G Power Supply did not have a crowbar circuit as originally
shipped.  If the supply's pass transistor shorted, the supply would put some
25 volts into the rig.  They sold what they called an OVP circuit
(overvoltage protection) which was a little circuit board about 1 x 2
inches.  It has an SCR and a fuse.  It would be mounted inside the rear
panel.  The big red wire from the supply's output would first go to that
board and then from that board back to the rest of the circuitry.

** If you don't have the OVP, GET IT.  Ten-Tec had them recently for $15
plus $3 shipping.

** Welcome, de Mike N4NT@charter.net