[TenTec] 705 mic

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 705 mic
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:45:25 -0600
Clark and Carl and others,

>A few days ago someone posted a question or comment
>about having "RF" on their audio using a 705 mic. I
>suggested that the battery in their 705 mic may be
>dead and need replacement.  One of the usual wiseasses
>emailed me that there was no battery in the 705 mic
>that he had so therefore there are no 9v batteries in
>any 705. Just to make sure I wasn't seeing things I
>turned over my 705 mic last night and sure enough
>there is a 9v battery in my 705 mic. I remember when I
>received this mic from Ten Tec, for use on the Delta
>II I had, that I received really bad audio reports
>when I first used it. I called Ten Tec and they said
>turn it over and put a battery in it. Sure enough
>putting in a battery made it work.  So if any of you
>would like to see pictures of my very rare battery and
>battery compartment in the only 705 mic ever
>manufactured with a 9v battery please email me.

Carl,

My Model 705 manual says "The standard Model 705 may be externally powered if
desired.  A source of 7 to 14 volts DC capable of delivering at least 5
milliamperes is required.  If no external power source is contemplated, or when
model 705a (a similar, but phone-plug fixed mic) is used, a 9 volt alkaline
type battery (not supplied) must be installed."

The list of Ten-Tec radios indicated as wired for the 705 did not include the
Delta or Delta II, but that may have been because the instructions may have
been writen before the D-II's existence--it doesn't refer to the Omni VI,
either.

As for the Corsairs, Clark, the 705/705a manual stats that "with a minor
resistor change in the Corsairs, the standard unit (705) may be powered from
the transceiver without the need for a 9 volt battery."

My Delta II manual says in the spec sheet: "polarizing voltage is available for
electeret types."  The front panel connector is as I described in a previous
post this morning, pin4 =+4 VDC, pin2=GND, pin1=Mic; pin3=PTT.

Your Delta II should have voltage at pin 4, Carl.  You shouldn't have to run
off the battery.

73,
dale, kg5u