FW: [TenTec] SCOUT Questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [TenTec] SCOUT Questions
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 16 Mar 1999 23:40:14 -0600

To: Lynn D Stolz; ten tec
From: rohre on Tue, Mar 16, 1999 11:27 PM
Subject: RE: [TenTec] SCOUT Questions

Lynn,
Point 2 first, yes the micro co-shares keyer and frequency increment duties.

Thus, it will jump, IF you do not pause occasionally, (Ten Tec words) in
keying at 25 wpm.  Not a problem for me!  It seems so simple to let up and
send BT and take a breath!

Now onto 1. DC voltage rating.  My Scout has a wonderful performance, but by
measurement, when I accidentally tried to use a flat car battery, the Scout
starting drifting when the voltage was 9 Volts DC.  It is fine on fully
charged car battery.  It is happy at 12.5 volts, also.

Last two years, I have used it at QRP Field Day, and ran it on 12 volt DC
electric car battery, and it was fine at 12.5 volts full charge, and the
battery went down only to 12.25 I think over Field Day's 24 hours, so that is
what one Scout has done consistently over time.  However, if there is a 3
terminal voltage regulator chip, they may vary in performance from chip to
chip, and another rig might not regulate so well to lower voltage.  By the way
THIS Scout scored over the last three years from fourth to ninth in class at
Field Day QRP battery division.  We simply turn down the power pot to 5 watts.

If a ham had that problem, he could hand select another voltage regulator chip
of the same number, and eventually get the best performance.  It has been
recently shown the Norcal 20 CW rig suffers the same using 78L0x 3 terminal
regulators, and I bet the power type ones are about the same except for
so-called low drop out regulators from Maxim and others.  Seems like you could
just substitute a low drop out regulator if you think you will be on old gel
cells at 12 volts all the time.

Last year, we ran the Scout SSB 5 w, and got lots of reports of "strongest
signal on the band".  Of course, we had a 9 dB gain Vee beam antenna, 10
wavelengths on each leg at 10 meters.

73, Stuart K5KVH