[TenTec] Scout 555 garbled SSB TX.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout 555 garbled SSB TX.
From: k4beh@juno.com (k4beh@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:06:15 -0500
James, a couple of suggestions about your Scout problem.

One possible reason for the RF feedback problem comes from using the rig
on battery alone.  I'll bet you didn't have a ground connected to the
Scout using this setup and, therefore had no path to ground for stray RF
floating around.  When you were connected to a power supply your ground
return was through the AC third wire.  Also, 12.7 volts is not enough for
rigs to operate properly.  You should have about 13.8 VDC for proper
operation.  I have a Delta II sitting on my desk that is usually
connected to a gellcell battery that is trickle charged to 13.8 VDC and
it works fine.  I have also used my Scout and Paragon on the same or
similar setups.

The Scout is more prone to RF Feedback than the Delta II and Paragon in
my opinion, but usually only on 20 meters and up from my experience.  I
have thought about trying to fix it with additional bypassing and
filtering but haven't done it yet since most of its operation is on 80
and 40 meters.  (Anyone have any suggestions for a cure?)

I hope this helps and, if you use HEAVY ground leads on the Scout and on
the antenna coax ground you will probably not experience any RF feedback
at all on any band since the car body itself will afford good shielding
but ONLY if you ground it properly...don't rely on the DC minus lead for
a ground.  There are grounds and then there are GROUNDS!  RF and DC
grounds are two very different animals!

Hope this helps.  The Scout is a FABULOUS mobile rig...easy to see
frequency, GREAT noise blanker, excellent sensitivity and selectivity
with the Jones filter and very easy to operate with few controls.  It
works great CW mobile, too!  Enjoy and let us know your results.

73,

Pat - K4BEH

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]