[TenTec] Re: IC-706, or $1,000 rig

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: IC-706, or $1,000 rig
From: dacalvin@us.ibm.com (Duane Calvin)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:37:19 -0400
There have been several Omni-V's listed here over the last week for that price
range.  I have an IC-706mkII, and if you want a real rig, you don't want one of
these.  They are an adequate mobile rig, and some have been used for
DXpeditions.  I had originally planned to sell my "spare" IC-735 to help offset
the cost of the rig, but that is out of the question now that I've used the 706
a bit.  The RX is as wide as a barn door, and we won't mention the ergonomics
that result from trying to pack so much function into a very small control
panel.  I'm looking forward to using it on some long mobile trips I make, but
if I had room for a bigger rig in the car plus a 2m rig, I would have gone that
way.  Basically, the 706 is a compromise rig.  For what it's worth.

 73,  Duane   AC5AA

Duane A. Calvin
Server Systems Test Engineer
Dept. 76TS   RS/6000 - SP Nodes