[TenTec] [TenTec} RE: GARBLED PARAGON

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [TenTec} RE: GARBLED PARAGON
From: weingaertner@kearfott.com (Robert Weingaertner)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:55:48 -0500
I've had intermittent PLL board problems with my Paragon,
too. Intitially they were hard failures: "PLL OUT OF LOCK",
but lately I've had the "garbled audio" which you describe.
On CW, it sounds like a raspy note.  My problems all seemed
to be caused by insufficient solder "wetting" of the component
leads on the major and minor loop boards. However, I still seem to
have a lingering problem which sounds like the garbled audio which
you describe. I suspect that the VCO on the minor loop board
is still "jumping around". Maybe the mod you discovered is the
fix. I'll take a look at my Paragon. Mine is an early one and
the manual does not even recommend user repairs on the PLL
boards (That doesn't stop me!).

Yes, it would be great to have a description of all the factory mods,
so that we could install all the subtle upgrades, but I don't know of
any amateur equipment makers who provide this info. Time is
money, and it would take a lot of time to catalogue all the changes.
It could be done by owners through diligent comparisons of
parts lists and schematics of older and newer models. Might be
a good project for the Ten Tec reflector/net!

                                   73

                                    Bob WB2VUF
                                    Weingaertner@kearfott.com