[TenTec] Argonaut 505 and 506

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut 505 and 506
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 15:07:25 -0700
Howdy -

No Argonaut 506 was made as far as I know.  There was the original
Argonaut 505 (I bought one new from Ten Tec in about 1973 or so...)
and there was the next one, the Argonaut 509 that turned out to
be the most popular (lots of them sold and still around).  These
two are the cream colored ones (the later 515 is black).  The
early 505 is not quite so easy to repair these days (parts may
not be fully available I understand), but is fine.  I believe
there are some small differences in adjusting the carrier level
for SSB and the metering circuit, but not much of a deal.

I still have my 515 and I use it on occasion with my 405 amp when
the going gets tough :-) .  Not the most selective receivers, but
certainly sensitive enough and works just fine.  I put an extra
4 pole filter in mine, after the stock 4 pole filter, and it works
just like the Triton IV or the early OMNI.

Clark
WA3JPG