[TenTec] Omni VII Suggestion: AM, outboard converter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII Suggestion: AM, outboard converter
From: pklein@seattleu.edu (Peter A. Klein)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:20:32 -0800 (PST)
> >TT already makes this radio; it's called the Paragon II.
> >Mike Cizek  W3MC

> Shouldn't that be "TT already 'made' this readio;"
> John/K4WJ in Pembroke Pines, FL

As John points out, the Paragon is no longer manufactured.  Also, the
Paragon is a general coverage rig, and uses a more traditional synthesizer
scheme.  It does not have the Omni V and VI's crystal mixing scheme, which
is what gives the Omnis such superb weak signal performance under crowded
conditions.  It's a fundamental design tradeoff.

My suggestion about AM reception and an outboard converter was an attempt
to preserve the advantages of the Omni on the ham bands without adding
significant cost to the basic rig, *and* still have the option of general
coverage or at least shortwave broadcast.  Sort of like having your cake
and eating it, too.  Use the crystal mixing scheme for the ham bands where
you need it. Add a synthesizer for shortwave coverage, where the phase
noise issue is much less important.

73,
Peter - KD7MW
---
* My opinions do not necessarily represent those of Seattle University.
* Newsreaders may show an incorrect return address. Use pklein@seattleu.edu

Peter A. Klein  (pklein@seattleu.edu)  :    -----==3==      ---      ---
Network Administrator, LAN/WAN/Novell  :   |    |  |  |    |   |    |   |
Seattle University, 296-5569           :  @|   @| @| @|   @|  @|   @|  @|