Icom radios

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Icom radios
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:19:08 -0800 (PST)
N4TYY writes:

> Since I own an OMNI-6, thought I'd mention that the later firmware has a new
> function that will allow the clearing of the RIT.  I think you push the CLEAR
> button, which is normally used to clear something else.
> Since all the buttons are pressable by RS-232 command, I can get you the
> sequence to do that.
> Then the "^" RIT Clear would work in a message, right?

Yeah - let me know what the command is.  I remember the RIT clear
function on the front panel was next to useless before (having to hold
a button down for 2 seconds).

This actually really pisses me off!!  I had Ten-Tec loan me an Omni-VI
a couple years back while I got the interface working.  I was trying to
point out some of the things that were missing in their firmware and
was totally blown off.  Now they have a new version (which they said they
would never do) that has some new stuff, but not everything it could have
been.

> Also, I can't imagine why the frequency couldn't be moved around with the
> shift
> keys, you would just have
> a variable hold the radio's frequency, and then let L/R Shift work on it from
> there.

I think I tried that when I had the Omni and I was sending so many
commands that the processor would crash (the one in the Omni).  I
didn't get a very warm feeling about the reliability of their
firmware and after they weren't willing to work with me, I gave up
on making the RIT or VFO tuning work.

> I could make my OMNI available for debug if necessary, and I do have a serial
> analyzer.

Well, it is pretty straight forward at this point, I just need to know
what the new command(s) are.  I doubt I will try the frequency stuff
again.  They need to take a tip from the other radio manufactures (Yaesu
and Kenwood) and add simple commands to bump the VFO or RIT in either
direction.

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com

--