TRLog

[Trlog] 10-meter contest after thoughts

To: TRLog Reflector <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] 10-meter contest after thoughts
From: "Tim Totten, N4GN" <n4gn@n4gn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:20:42 -0500 (EST)
Three thoughts that I scribbled down during the 10-meter contest (one has lots of time to scribble down such things in this contest, at least from KY when you have S9 line noise):

1) I almost always set "DE ENABLE" to FALSE in my LOGCFG.DAT file. For some reason, I've noticed in the last couple times out that at some point in the contest (usually late), TR starts acting as if DE ENABLE has been changed to TRUE. I'm not changing it manually, and when I look at LOGCFG.DAT after the contest, I see it's still FALSE. It's certainly no big deal, but it makes me curious what is going on. Anyone else experience this? Any clues?

2) In this contest, I often find myself changing "BAND MAP DISPLAY DUPES" (I think that's the right name) between TRUE and FALSE. With both modes, between packet and the second op spotting things in the band map, the band map easily overflows the screen. When I'm running, especially late inthe contest, I'd like to have some idea how many "fresh meat" stations are available, so I often turn off "DISPLAY DUPES". If I see some appropriate number of likely targets, I can quickly knock them off one by one on the second VFO, or make a quick S&P run with the "NEXT BAND MAP", which I have programmed into F10. For a more "normal" S&P run, I'd like to see the dupes, so I don't waste time trying to identify them.

Bottom line, I think it would be really cool to have an "automatic" mode where the dupes do not display in the band map when I'm in run mode (so I can easily see how much fresh meat is out there), but they do display when I'm in S&P mode. So I'd suggest a new option of "BAND MAP DUPE DISPLAY = AUTO" in addition to the current choices of TRUE or FALSE.

3) Finally, I noticed that when I have "BAND MAP DUPE DISPLAY = FALSE" some weird things happen when I actually try to work (or delete) the last remaining spot in the band map. It seems to cause some garbage to be entered into the call sign window, and once it even replaced the deleted spot with some old dupe spot. No other ill effects after I deleted the garbage from the call sign window, but I just stopped trying to delete all the spots (basically, any spotted station in Asia was a safe bet to keep on the band map!).

73,

Tim Totten, n4gn@n4gn.com
http://www.n4gn.com