TRLog

Re: [Trlog] Computers at an Expedition

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Computers at an Expedition
From: G0MIC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:04:57 EST
Thanks to Paul for his summary.

May I add a couple of thoughts?

I took over the running of our UK SSB Field Day station at relatively short
notice, a contest I had never done before. I set up the config files with  my
interpretation of the rules and did not have time to get it checked out by a
mentor friend who would have kicked my butt in private for getting it wrong.
Result, an embarrassing loss of time in the contest righting my mistake and
loss in confidence in computer logging from members who are very anti computer
logging (they reckon they can do it better on paper!)

A technique I use is to replay a contest at high speed on the network  set up
in my flat using the largest log I have from previous contests.   This has
shown up where a bottleneck might occur in disk writes or other  problems.

Finally take out incompatible hardware or carry adapters.  I had one  machine
that would not display the CMOS set up screen on a colour monitor. I  took it
out of my kit because I always expect to have to reset CMOS values and  would
not have had a mono monitor on site.  Most of my (ancient) computers  use 7
pin din connectors for the keyboards but the laptops use the mini din
connectors, I always have spare adapters to go either way so that I can  swap
keyboards or use one from a laptop on a desktop/tower machine.

Malcolm
G0MIC