TRLog

[Trlog] Re: CW spots in SSB bandmap & vice versa

To: trlog@contesting.com, vr2bg@harts.org.hk
Subject: [Trlog] Re: CW spots in SSB bandmap & vice versa
From: "Mike Heideman" <mike_heideman@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 04:42:16 +0000
I noticed and reported on this occurring with version 6.72 in http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/TRLog/2003-04/msg00004.html

This is really a nuisance when using the NEXTBANDMAP key mapping in a single mode contest because if you land on one of these spots you get stuck in the wrong mode and can't jump to the spots for the correct mode. I think it may also have been necessary to manually return the rig to the correct mode.

Here are some other mode-related Bandmap quirks that I've observed:

Using an ICOM IC761 for spotting in a CW contest with the XCVR mode set to USB. All of the spots were offset in frequency by about 1 kHz. The operators all assumed that the stations had moved since none of the spots were accurate. An hour or two after I started spotting someone realized they were all offset and let me know. Switching the XCVR mode to CW fixed this one.

We often see duplicate spots on 40 meters in phone DX contests which I assume is mode-related. It appears that spots from the network or packet are assumed to be CW spots, while spots made on the local computer are assumed to be SSB, even though they are covering the same frequency range. This also makes it look like there are a bunch of unworked mults since the wrong-mode spots show up with smiley-faces. This might be related to BAND MAP CUTOFF FREQUENCY, which we leave at the default value, but why would local spots behave differently from network or packet spots?

73,
-Mike, N7MH