TRLog

[TRLog] Re: Paddles vs Keyboard mode

Subject: [TRLog] Re: Paddles vs Keyboard mode
From: ve3bbh@interlog.com (Paul Hicks, VE3BBH / VE3ZT)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:21:44 -0500
Hi Gary,

Like yourself, I'm a touch typist, too, learned it way back in high school
in the late 50s. Glad I did, I actually enjoy typing and not having to look
at the keys. Enables me to concentrate on copying calls in the pileups and
less on keyboarding. That parts automatic--just like breathing. I also
REALLY enjoy using my Bencher paddle. My old original Vibroplex paddle got
lost during a move, so I was forced to pay the long bucks up here (about
$100) and sprang for a Bencher about 3 years ago. Unlike the Vibroplex, the
Bencher just never misses, the contacts seemed to get dirty quickly on the
Vibro, and it was real tricky adjusting, too. I'd buy a used Vibroplex if I
could find one priced reasonably, I like their looks and the neat logo.

I estimate that during the ARRL DX CW, I used the paddle at least 30% of
the time. No reason, I feel I know TR-Log well enough now, but I just enjoy
using the paddle when the urge hits me and I don't want that skill to get
rusty. I can't see that it makes any difference at all whether one uses the
keyboard or the paddle (or combination), what's important (if one wants to
do one's best in the contest) is to use the method that is the most
efficient for that individual, and to have fun.

73 and cu in the contests.

Paul
VE3ZT