[SECC] CQ WPX SSB - KT4ZB SO(A)AB(TS) LP

Subject: [SECC] CQ WPX SSB - KT4ZB SO(A)AB(TS) LP
From: secc at contesting.com (Kt4zb--- via SECC)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:12:53 -0400
Prior to the contest, Drubber sent an email containing the  following
quote, "...the difference will be the amount of time you have  your butt in the
seat!! Perseverance pays off..."  Well, since I  left 2 hours plus on the
table, I need write nothing  more.

Congratulations to Kevan, N4XL, for a very fine  job and a personal best. I
really enjoyed the banter of emails prior to  the contest. Unfortunately, I
did not find him during the contest for that WW4  prefix. Still not sure
who won the N4XL vs KT4ZB completion as I did make more  contacts than
Kevan...What do you all think?

Enjoyed talking to the SECC members that I found, but I think  PJ4Z was so
busy on the high bands I never found them on 40 m or 80  m.

-------------------------------------

CQWW  WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KT4ZB
Station:  KT4ZB

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) LP
QTH: Savannah, GA
Operating Time  (hrs): 33.5

------------
160:
80:     9
40:  188
20:  415
15:  436
10:  299
------------
Total: 1347   Prefixes = 691  Total Score = 2,256,115

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

What a difference a year makes. Moreover, this was like two  contests in
one for me. Friday night and Saturday conditions were good to very  good. But
Sunday was brutal. Both 10 m and 15 m were barely responsive. So I  ended up
taking some time off to visit with my wife's friends who were in town  for
the weekend. As a result I left some time on the table. Fortunately,
conditions improved late in the afternoon and I was able to work a good number
of
South American stations on 10 m to add to the one pointers that I got in
the  US. All totals were down from last year and that will be so for the next
few  years. Probably 80 percent S&P with best hour at only 66; best run rate
was  99.

I put a new horizontal loop up just before the contest and  discovered that
a contest is probably not the best time to try it out. My 40 m  dipole
seemed strong on 40 so I stayed with that for most of the contest. I did  drop
down to 80 m for a little while and used the loop for a few contacts. I do
know it works as I found KH7XX in Hawaii on Sunday morning. Also for the
first  time ever, I had an unknown problem with N1MM. A mysterious letter D
would  appear in an entry window and the Available Mult window would sometimes
work and  then not work after changing bands. The program also crashed
several times  during the weekend.

The DX was very good with Saudi Arabia, China, India, Israel,  Turkey,
Korea, Samoa, Cook Islands, New Caledonia (2 bands), Vatican, San  Marino,
Mongolia, Malawi, some nifty UA's and UN's and working 35 JA's from  Southeast
Georgia added to the fun of low power contesting. And, you got to love  some
of those lengthy prefixes like DX65DARC.

WPX is probably my favorite contest and I always have a fun  time.  Thanks
to everyone for hearing me and working to get my  exchange.  Also, thanks to
CQ and the contest committee for all their  work.

Best - Jere

FT 1000-MP Field, TH6-DXX, dipole and loop in the trees and  N1MM+.