[SECC] NAQP CW NJ8J Single Op LP

Subject: [SECC] NAQP CW NJ8J Single Op LP
From: nj8j at benshome.net (Ben Coleman)
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 15:14:05 -0400

Team: SECC #1

Comments:
Equipment:
Alinco DX-77T
LDG AT-11MP Automatic Antenna tuner

Antennas:
100' OCF Dipole fed with ladder-line

Logger: N1MM

This is, I believe, a record NAQP CW for me.  Almost all S&P - I tried
running a couple of times, but didn't get many takers.

I checked the NCDXF beacons in the half hour before the contest start,
and heard nothing on 10, but did hear 4U1UN on 15, so I started out on
15.  Did an hour on 15, then an hour and a half on 20, then back to 15.
 Took an hour break at 2109.  Jumped over to 10 for 20 minutes when I
noted that conditions on 15 were improving and figured 10 might be open
- yup!  Bounced between 15 and 20 until I dropped down to 40 at 0130.
40 was pretty productive for me.  Bounced between 40 and 80 until the
end of the contest.  I tried 160 once or twice, but couldn't make myself
heard.

In the past, I've been used to seeing the 10-qso rate meter hang in the
30-40 range when doing S&P.  This contest, it was more like in the 50-60
range, and occasionally 80.  At one point, the rate meter hit 120.

Need to get some different wire up for  10 - the 100' wire doesn't do
well on 10.  I've been looking at trying a half-square, but haven't
figured out where to hang it yet.

The first few hours of the contest, I seemed to be bothered with some
sort of background noise.  Finally figured out that the noise blanker
had been turned on.  Since I rarely turn it on (on the DX-77T, the noise
blanker isn't worth turning on), it took awhile to realize that that was
the problem.  Copy was much easier with it off.

Ben
Ben Coleman nj8j at benshome.net
 "I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the
same manner that fish follow migrating caribou."
                                            Paul Tomblin