[SECC] SECC Membership and Club Score Submissions

Subject: [SECC] SECC Membership and Club Score Submissions
From: k4bai at att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:32:10 -0400
I am writing to each of you as a member of SECC from myself as the
president.  I think you need to know that I will be submitting my ARRL
SS CW score for GCG (Georgia Contest Group) this year and why I am doing so.

I asked the leaders of the GCG, before the club was announced, not to
form a competing club and offered to nominate their proposed officers as
this year's officers of SECC, so as not to create division and to have a
larger membership group over a larger area to submit club scores.  They
had acceded to my request a year or two earlier.  But, this time, they
had gone a long way toward forming GCG and had at least one member
(W4DXX) who lives in GA, but is outside the 175 mile/275 kilometer
diameter circles for SECC and Eric was then submitting his scores for
ACG since he lives within their circle.  GCG has elected to have the
ARRL section of Georgia as its geographical area for ARRL contests.  The
do not have that option for CQ contests, so they must use a 275 km
circle.  They have elected a center for the circle south of Macon and it
includes most of GA, but not one of the far northern corners.  It also
includes areas outside the state, but they, so far at least, have no
members outside GA.  So, I think that all their present members can
submit scores for ARRL and CQ contests.

SECC has members outside the circle who cannot submit scores for SECC in
ARRL, CQ, CQP, and DARC contests, such as K2SX and W4SVO.  These are
valuable, contributing members.

Many of the SECC members in GA have joined GCG, so there are quite a few
of us who belong to both clubs and can submit scores for either.  In
fact, many of us also belong to ACG and have a choice of three clubs to
submit scores for.

As one of the founders and the present president of SECC, I always
intend to submit my scores for SECC unless there is a strong reason to
the contrary.  That would be when I am a part of a group operation at
WW4LL or W8JI and they want to submit the score for GCG and quite likely
if I were to be a guest operator there.

KU8E, Jeff, and I are going for CQ WW CW to Bonaire as PJ4A next month
with two members of the YCCC from New England.  On DX trips, you can
split the club scores depending on the membership of the operators.
Last year, it was 50% to YCCC and 50& to SECC.  Jeff has agreed that we
will have the same split on our PJ4A score this year since we are both
members of SECC if I will submit my ARRL SS CW score for GCG.  I think
that is a fair trade.  GCG is organized more for ARRL contests than for
CQ Contests.  SECC will receive more gross points from Jeff's 25% of the
PJ4A score than any points I may earn this weekend.

So, that is a long explanation for why you will see "GCG" on my log
submission for CQ WW CW this weekend.  Please do not think that it
represents any reduction in my commitment to SECC.

Hope everyone gets on and makes a lot of QSOs in SS CW and SS SSB for
SECC.

73, John, K4BAI.