[SECC] CWOpen Contests This Weekend

Subject: [SECC] CWOpen Contests This Weekend
From: k4bai at att.net (John Laney)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:35:44 -0400
Hello all:

I have been thinking about CWO.  I missed most of it last year, so have
no experience to speak of, but I have worked the CWT Mini Tests since
the beginning of the CWOps Club.

Here are some random ideas.  There is a long list of contest logging
programs in the rules.  If you don't have one of those, you can probably
use any logging program that has a module for NA Sprint or one such as
NA that has a module for the QRP Contests.  These contests have an
exchange of #, Name, SPC or RST, Name, SPC.  SPC will not be needed for
this contest, but you can probably log "GA" or "DX" for each QSO and
then remove all those location abbreviations with a text editor from the
Cabrillo file.  If the QRP contest module requires a three digit number
(usually expected for the QRP contest to be something between 339-599),
I am sure it would take any three digit number like 001, etc.

You must start your numbers with 001 for each of the three sessions. You
must keep three separate logs, one for each session.  Name your logs
call1.log, call2.log, call3.log.  ("Call" means your call.)

Since every new station worked for the first time (in each session) is a
new multiplier, the ideal thing would be to work for all four hours on
one band and every non dupe would be a multiplier.  I don't think the
activity will permit a high rate if you work only one band.  But, this
is a rate contest, and the QTH of the station worked doesn't matter.
Working someone across the street counts the same as working any rare DX
station.

Note that the use of packet is OK (Don't self spot), but the sponsors
request that you show your category as Single Op Assisted if you do. The
results may show that you were assisted, but there is really only one
category -- "Single Op."  Of course, there are the usual three power
categories, as well.  So, use packet if it will help your score.  Don't
use it if it will be a distractions.

Session One:  1200-1559Z (8AM to 12 Noon EDT).  Consider starting for a
brief time on 40 or even 80.  We could all start on or about 3528 and
work each other and anyone else on that band at that time.  80 and 40
will only get worse as the morning passes, so work those bands early. 20
and 15M will likely be the meat and potatoes band.  20M has has a lot of
absorption during the day and it will be better early in the 4-hour
period than later in the period insofar as Europe is concerned.  It
should be good for North/South America for most of the 4 hours.  15M has
been open to Asia 12 to 14Z, so if you are to work East Asian stations
in the first session on 15, it will likely be early.  I have noticed no
long path openings on 15, so look for the short path.

If W1/2 stations become strong on 15M, it may be an indication that 10M
is open.  10 has been poor in the mornings lately, but some openings to
South America or Africa could occur.  If you hear European signals on
10M, check to see if they are on the direct path or the skew path across
Africa.  Beam in the direction where their signals are the strongest. If
backscatter is possible to the US during the day, you will likely want
to point your beam south.

Session Two:  2000-2359Z (4 to 8 PM EDT).  Any or all of the bands from
10 to 80 could be open.  At the start, check to see if 10M is open.  We
could get SA and South Pacific on 10M for most of the 4 hours.  We often
get strong European openings on 10M at 21 to 2230Z, so watch for them.
Again check to see if they are direct or skew.  I'd not expect to work
JAs on 10M.  But JAs may be possible on 15M anytime after about 2115Z.
15M could be open to almost anywhere in the world during this session.
20M will be better to Europe than it was in the latter part of session
one, probably better than at any time during session one.  The latter
part of the session could see some deep Asia openings over the north
pole.  15 should be good for the west coast and 20 should be good for
most of NA for the whole 4 hour period.  40M will improve toward the end
of the period and it might be worth trying 40M after 22Z.  Much of the
eastern part of the US can be easily worked between 2300 and 2400Z on
80M.  If you have a good 160M set up, you can check that band toward the
end of the period.  On 160M, avoid the "DX Window" 1830 to 1835 kHz
except for working DX there.  Activity will probably be mostly 1815 to
1829 kHz.

Session Three:  0400-0759Z (midnight to 4 AM EDT).
Consider starting on the low bands.  European sunrise is still pretty
early and 80 and 40M signals from there will fade shortly after the
period starts.  160M may be best at 04Z.  I am going to suggest checking
160M on the hour each hour if your rate isn't great somewhere else.
Occasionally 15M may still have a few signals this late and it is
worthwhile to make a quick check of that band.  Don't waste much time
there.  It is probably about 50/50 that 20M may be good to Europe at
04Z.  If so, it will likely fade soon, so 40M may be your bread and
butter band for this last session.  80M should be good for North and
Central America and you could get some Pacific area stations toward the
end of the session.

The rules do not suggest frequencies within the contest bands.  The
CWOps Club says that they operate "on the eights," meaning 14018, 14028,
14038, etc.  Up 28 on 80-10M is pretty universally recognized by the
club members so that may be a good starting place.

Since rate is the most important thing in this contest, you should CQ a
lot.  No problem in working people who aren't really in the contest if
you can get them to give you a number.  The only CW contest that we may
have a conflict with is the COlorado QSO Party, where they will be
exchanging name and CO county or SPC.  So, if you can get a number from
a CO station, give him your state as well as # and name.

Since team scores are determined by adding up the scores from each of
the three different contests, be sure to work any of the three contests
that you can and send in the scores, even if you work only a few in one
of the contests.

I suggest posting your scores to 3830 promptly.  I will check there.  If
you do not do so, please send me your claimed scores for each session
thusly:  Session number.  Number of QSOs. Nr of multipliers.  Claimed
Score. Approximate time of operation.

Note that there are two different ways of submitting your logs to the
sponsor using a link from the rules.  Either way, do so promptly in
Cabrillo format.  The deadline for logs is Thursday, Sept. 20. The time
in the rules is ambiguous, so submit the logs early and don't worry
about what they mean by "0059Z PDT."

I am guessing that the CQ call for this contest will generally be just
"TEST" or "CQ TEST" but some may send "CQ CWO."  Remember that the best
way to get your call reported on RBN when you are running is to include
"CQ" or "TEST" and your call twice.

I recommed the use of full QSK if you have it available.  You can better
avoid "doubling" with the other station and can keep aware of what is
happening on the frequency with QSK than you cannot do without QSK.

For those of you who receive this message, but aren't on a team:  please
get on and have fun in the contest and work as many people as possible.
  It will help out the other stations and will be very good practice for
you.  Send in your scores to the sponsors and to 3830 indicating your
club as it will be good advertising for your club.

Note to those of you who can't yet handle very high speed CW:  Call the
stations that you can copy.  Make a note or put in your logging program
the information they are giving to other stations.  Call and Name don't
change.  The QSO number goes up by one every QSO (unless the station is
SO2R and makes a QSO on another band).  I enter in the log the call and
name and the QSO number that he will send next and, if he answers me
next, all I have to do is "Enter" the QSO.  You can easily change the
last digit of the number to the one actually sent to you.  Try CQing
("CQ TEST") at the speed you want to copy on the top side or the bottom
side of the major contest activity.  You WILL get some answers and most
of the callers will slow down to near your sending speed.  This will be
excellent practice and your CW speed will pick up as the contest goes
on.  Don't be afraid to ask for a repeat if you miss something or aren't
sure of something since accuracy is needed when logs are to be cross
checked.  "NR?" or "NAME?" or maybe "AGN?" for the whole exchange again
should work OK.

Contrary or other ideas are welcome.  73, John, K4BAI.