[SECC] SECC Officers 2013

Subject: [SECC] SECC Officers 2013
From: ve7zo at hotmail.com (Jim Roberts)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:10:47 +0000

Fellow SECC Contesters:

The contest year went quickly -- it is now June and time for our SECC
elections. Been thinking about ways to improve contesting in the Southeast?
This could be your year to get involved!

Executive positions to be filled:
President:
Vice-President:
Secretary:
Treasurer: John Laney, K4BAI

Please e-mail your interest (or recommendations) to any of the current officers
during the next two weeks. In cases where there are more than one individual
applying, we will have a vote as per the by-laws.

With regards to the last year, I would like to thank John Laney K4BAI for his
always outstanding contributions in publicizing contests and recognizing the
results of the contesters in our region. John has indicated that he will be
running again for the position of Treasurer. Mike Almeter W4MJA has done a
great job for us, albeit remotely from college in Nevada. Mike has said that he
will not be running this year as he wants to actually begin entering contests.
We ran without a VP this year, a necessary position for effective leadership.
Personally, it is my intention not to run for office this year as a change of
my work in the fall resulted in a much more demanding time and travel schedule
that has not allowed me to undertake the initiatives I envisioned when I first
accepted the position. I enjoy working with the club and will remain available
to assist in any way that I can.

As president, I was able to attend the key local events held in our region
including HamJam, TechFest, and SEDXC meetings that included technical
presentations given by our membership. It was a pleasure to work with Fred
WW4LL. Fred has been making his station available in major contests to new and
old contesters alike. Likewise, Rick NQ4I opens his station every GQP to
potential members who may not have had a chance to operate in such a superb
operating environment. This type of mentoring is always commendable in helping
secure the future of our hobby.

On a personal note, the improving high band conditions have shown that, with
the proper equipment, the southeast can be competitive on a national stage with
the big stations in the northeast. The team at NQ4I set new USA records in the
CQ WW CW, ARRL DX CW and the CQ WPX CW and we are awaiting the results from the
log checking. Tom W8JI, who has had proper equipment for years, allowed K1TO,
KM3T and I to operate his station during the ARRL 160 and CQ WW 160 contests.
Both Dan K1TO and Dave KM3T are on the WRTC 2014 committee to be held in New
England. Commitments have been made by K4BAI (on behalf of the SECC) and NQ4I
to sponsor operating tents at this event. I am hopeful that, in addition to the
financial sponsorship, that we can also staff the support tents. This was
effectively done in Moscow in 2010.

I hope you enjoyed the last contest season and with sunspots on the rise, there
should be fun amongst the competition in the coming year.

Vy 73, Jim VE7ZO