[SECC] CQWW Error rate?

Subject: [SECC] CQWW Error rate?
From: thompson at mindspring.com (David Thompson)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:47:42 -0400
I agree with John's analysis of error rate.  I find that working 40 or 80
SSB an error rate is increased by the Dx run station logging you when you
call  someone else on or near the run stations listening frequency.  One
year I did a few minutes of S&P and when I called D4 he said worked b4.
This happens to me each time I work cross band 40 and 80.  Not sure if
opening the band up above 7100 to 7200 will help as Dx tends to stay below
7125 to avoid getting wiped out by loud multis.

Logging on the PC leads to typing errors so make sure you quickly review
what you typed to assure
it is correct as received.  I found a number of CQ 160 logs that had not in
log errors (NIL) due to timing.  Make sure you confirm.  Even the best
operators get NILs due to timing.

If you are working Multi or assisted make sure the station you log is the
correct call sign.  Depending on spots on Packet or DX summit causes errors.
I find just in casual DXing that one spot in 15 is usually bad.  I noted
VK0HR for VK9HR recently
and TY5AS for TK5AS.  Logging calls without double checking in a contest
causes penalties as well as loss of contact.

I also find that most uniques are actually busts.  N4PN send me a note
saying everytime his local friend worked him that he lost the contact as the
log checking program deemed this a bust.  However, busts are usually
miscopying the call or a typing error.

One final note.  Log exactly what the station sends you.  I have heard
stations sending the wrong zone or a duplicate serial number.  Best practice
is to log what was sent.  Don't try to change the info or you will lose the
contact.

73 Dave K4JRB