[SECC] ARRL June VHF Contest--N4NX

Subject: [SECC] ARRL June VHF Contest--N4NX
From: n4nx at comcast.net (n4nx at comcast.net)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:24:04 +0000 (UTC)
ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N4NX
Operator(s): N4NX
Station: N4NX

Class: Limited Multi-Op LP
QTH: EM84--GA
Operating Time (hrs): 15

6: 275 135
-------------------
Total: 275 135 Total Score = 37,125

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This was to be my first VHF contest with HIGH POWER--BUT it was not to be!
After setting up on Thursday at my mountain home in Sautee, GA I hooked up my
newly converted WSB Harris amp. This was accomplished with much much work by
Mack, W4AX and more technical support from Hal, N4GG. When they released the
amp into my care it was putting a solid 800 watts on the wire! I used it for a
couple of days from home in Atlanta and all was working fine. On Thursday from
Sautee it was still working fine as evidenced by my easily working both
PJ2/K8LEE & PJ4E for two new ones on 6 meters.

OK now to the contest. When the contest started I heard K4PI ( Mr 6 meters )
calling CQ on CW With the amp in line I gave him a call, expecting him to
answer with a "WOW, you're loud" -- but not so. Instead, he put out another CQ.
After calling him several times with no answer I knew I had a problem. First
let me say I have no way to monitor the rf output of the amp ( I now have a 6
meter watt meter on my must have list ). I disconnected the amp and hooked the
K3 directly to the antenna. With just one call Mike answered my 100 watts call.
I continued with the bare K3 for the entire contest ( Just like I have always
done.

I do have an advantage here in Sautee with my M square 5 element 6 meter Yagi
atop my 50' tower. I was able to have several runs calling CQ. I don't know if
I would have done much better with the amp--But in the future I plan to find
out.

The weather didn't help either as we had severe Lightning and rain both
Saturday night and Sunday afternoon forcing me off the air. I used packet, but
not to many spots. In fact thanks for those that spotted me.

Well on to next year and power. Great Fun. You have to love 6! Speaking of
6--don't miss K4PI's presentation on 6 at the SEDXC meeting on Thursday night.
See www.sedxc.org for information.

Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73
Bill N4NX