[SECC] N4XL WPX CW SOAB LP

Subject: [SECC] N4XL WPX CW SOAB LP
From: knason00 at gmail.com (Kevan Nason)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 03:10:01 -0400
The first 20 years of my Ham life was primarily CW and VHF mobile.  The last
15+ have been mainly SSB.  When I first joined the SECC, I said I wanted to
do CW and RTTY contests.  This is only my second or third since joining a
few years ago, but I have learned some basic contesting skills doing SSB
and some do translate to CW.  I plan on doing many more CW and branch out to
RTTY or digital. Although very, very rusty I loved it!  Used to be 35+ wpm
and now barely 25 after starting this contest around 20, but things will get
better. I'm sure there will be quite a reduction in my score.  For example I
tried to make Jeff KU7E and undoubtedly I've several exchange numbers wrong
too.  But you have to start somewhere.

Planned on a full time effort with a modest goal of 500 q's and 350,000
points -- I knew I was bad on cw and figured mostly S&P.  I'd spent some
time with Morse Runner for the month prior.  Spent an hour every couple
days. That really paid off and gave me confidence to try some runs.  Sunday
afternoon was a great time for Europe.

The big wrench in the plans this time was a family crisis and spent time
dealing with that. Because of it, the son decided we needed to take care of
his cat for awhile and the ham shack basement is the best place to do that.
As said, I'm pretty bad at CW but it is even more difficult copying calls
with a cat clawing its way up your leg into your lap.  I've a few dozen
little puncture marks in my legs. It is also hard to type when there is a
cat laying in your lap and you have to sit differently and hold your arms
differently to reach the keyboard.  Normally I wouldn't put up with it, but
the cat was scared and nervous about being in a new place without his family
being around. And then he got outside and ran away from the new neighbors'
dog so we spent a couple hours trying to get him back.  Also took the XYL to
eat and the movies to help get her mind of the family problems.  What would
a contest be without Murphy and company?

So, all in all I'm pleased with how things went. Good to work the other SECC
stations, and thanks to the Bonaire group for working me first call every
call.

Kevan
N4XL