[SECC] NAQP CW NJ8J Single Op LP

Subject: [SECC] NAQP CW NJ8J Single Op LP
From: nj8j at benshome.net (Ben Coleman)
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 02:29:02 -0500

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:15

- -------------------
  160:    6     6
   80:   79    31
   40:   73    31
   20:    1     1
   15:
   10:
- -------------------
Total:  159    69  Total Score = 10,971

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #4

Comments:

Equipment:
Alinco DX-77T
LDG AT-11MP Automatic Antenna tuner, MFJ-969 Antenna tuner

Antennas:
Even for Bedsprings Brigade Manor, You Don't Want To Know

I was hoping I might actually get to operate without the local QRN.  The
weekend before I turned on the radio and noticed that the local QRN
seemed to be gone (or at least much lower).  You could actually hear
normal atmospheric noise ,instead of the atmospherics being covered up
by the local QRN.  I was hoping that meant that whatever had been
causing it had been fixed.  It was not to be.  The QRN was back this
weekend.  I suppose that means that whatever causes it was shut down for
New Year's weekend (which I guess probably means it's not power line
noise, but is likely being produced by some local business machinery).

As I was getting ready to operate, I found that all of the shack
headsets were non-functional.  Happily, I was able to snatch a working
set of headsets from the study computer.

I got started about 2245Z, and quickly found that I'd missed the action
on 20. I jumped down to 40, and spent the evening shuttling between 40
and 80, with an occasional visit to 160 (and a few very patient operators).

I noticed that 40 at its busiest had NAQP traffic from about 7001 to
7038-7040, where it hit a brick wall in the form of RTTY Roundup
activity.  Only saw one CW station 'inside' the RTTY activity, and that
was at 7039 when the RTTY had dropped down to 7038.  I don't think I saw
NAQP activity below about 3815, but the RTTY Roundup never seemed to get
below 3860, so there was more room available.

Enjoyed getting back into this after being away for a couple of years.
I just need to get some reasonable antennas up and try to track down
whatever is producing this horrid local QRN.

Ben