[SECC] [Acg] K4BAI Claimed Score, NCCC Practice 8/8/08

Subject: [SECC] [Acg] K4BAI Claimed Score, NCCC Practice 8/8/08
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:09:18 -0400
John T. Laney III wrote:
>                    NCCC Sprint - Aug 8
>
> Call: K4BAI
> Operator(s): K4BAI
> Station: K4BAI
>
> Class: Single Op LP
> QTH: GA
> Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

>  160:   0      0
>   80:   8      8
>   40:  15     10
>   20:  13     10
>   15:   0      0
>   10:   0      0
> -------------------
> Total:  36     28  Total Score = 1,008
>
> Club: South East Contest Club
>
> Comments:
>
> FT1000MP, 100W, TH6DXX, zepp, dipole, inverted vee.  Couldn't seem to get
> anything going on 20M this week.  My beam indicator hasn't worked for
> years.  I
> determine direction by sound and memory.  Seems memory failed last
> night. Tonight I went outside and looked and the antenna was pointed SE
> instead of NW.
> Lesson learned, I hope.  My antenna man has been disabled for some time.
> Thanks for the QSOs, particularly the ones who worked me on 20, all of whom
> were off the back or sides of the beam.  73, John, K4BAI.
>

> Posted using 3830 Score Submittal Forms at:
> http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/

Well, it turns out that it is worse than I had thought, but I wasn't
quite as stupid as I had thought.  The beam appears to be frozen SE.  It
doesn't turn at all.  Probably the worse possible direction, especially
for WAE this weekend.  However, I did work a 7S0 this morning on the zepp.

It only occurred to me after I had disconnected everything that the
problem could be that the quick disconnect that Jeff installed for me on
the rotator control cable might not have been making full contact and I
will check that tonight after work.  I think I have another rotor with
my old antenna man, but really need an able bodied professional to
change them out.

73,

John, K4BAI.