[SECC] GAQP Notes NM2l/N9JF from ILL

Subject: [SECC] GAQP Notes NM2l/N9JF from ILL
From: gregpotter at charter.net (gregpotter at charter.net)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:35:49 -0700

I don't think there is a category for this operation so the actual score has
not been submitted.  It was a "two men and station" out of state operation, but
we really weren't going for score and as an SECC member I don't think the rules
let me submit.  My partner (Jim N9JF the owner of the operating location) wrote
a nice summary for the County Hunter forum so I have attached most of that
narrative.  This was a real BLAST!!!  .... I managed to finish up the state of
Georgia for USACA.  Many thanks to all of the mobiles that provided all these
opportunities to work Georgia counties.  Great job folks!  Next year I will be
back to roving.  73 de Greg NM2L

CALLSIGN: NM2L
CATEGORY: MULTI-ONE ALL LOW CW (Out of State)
CLAIMED-SCORE: 91,494
CLUB: SECC
NAME: Greg Potter
ADDRESS: 5390 Lexington View Place
ADDRESS: Sugar Hill GA 30518
OPERATORS: NM2L, N9JF

                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: NM2L
Operator(s): NM2L, N9JF
Station: N9JF

Class: Multi-Single (sort of), Low Power
QTH: Illinois
Operating Time (hrs): Entire Contest

   160:     1      0
    80:    34      0
    40:   253     0
    20:     7       0
    15:     0       0
    10:     0       0
     6:      0        0
--------------------
          295     0

Total:The weekend was indeed a blast! The organizers did a great job drumming
up activity, and one

cannot say enough good about all the mobiles and rovers. My plan for the
weekend was to simply

clear a path to the shack and try to have everything in operational condition
so Greg could get the

last few counties he needed for USACA. Once the party started, I "got the
fever" and Greg would

move aside to let me pick up the counties I needed for CW or Bingo. He
primarily worked on 40

meters on one radio and I played around on the other one on 20, 80, 160 and 40
SSB (Greg didn't

work any SSB at all). His total for the party was about 300 contacts in 153 of
the 159 counties. I

worked one other county while he was on the telephone: W4AN in Camden who moved
into another county

within a couple of minutes. I mostly just worked stations who were new
band-counties on the second

radio (except for grabbing the ones needed for CW/Bingo on Radio 1 on 40 CW). I
also spotted like

crazy :) We missed Atkinson, Lee, Oconee, Oglethorpe and Terrell. I don't think
any of them were

spotted. I didn't even keep a log except in my master spreadsheet. Greg is a
SECC member and not

eligible for competition, so neither of our logs will appear in the official
results. He did,

however, work all the needed counties, and I wound up getting all GA for CW
except for Atkinson. If

we had done a true multi-single under one call, there is no telling what score
we could have

recorded, but that wasn't the point.... N4PN was the only mobile worked on 160.
W4AN in Echols was

the only mobile to move the meter on 20 all weekend, though KN4Y repeatedly
heard me call even

though he was at ESP level here. The mobile signal strengths on 40 were fairly
even on CW. They

were also even on SSB: I did not work a single GA mobile on SSB the entire
weekend! Mobiles worked

were as follows: (counties/contacts): K4ZGB 5/5, KC4HW 11/11, KN4Y 28/30, N4FD
6/6, N4PN 30/30,

NE4S 7/7, NF4GA 4/4, NG4Z 3/3, NY4N 32/32, W3DYA 29/30, W4AN 32/35 (!!), W4NZ
23/24, W5LE 16/16,

WB4A 5/5. Greg made one contact on 160 (N4PN in JASP), 34 on 80, 253 on 40 and
7 on 20 (all CW). I

have no idea how many I made. In addition, I chased W6TMD and AA9JJ around the
various bands and

modes and just generally had a good time! Cherokee was the easiest county to
work (8 contacts). A

whole bucketload of them had one or two contacts. As noted in various places,
some mobiles did not

identify very often. I have been on both sides of that controversy; there has
to be a middle ground

that will satisfy everyone...or maybe not! Those who consistently came back to
the same frequency

on 40 after being on 20 sure helped make it easy to find them! The pileups were
just amazing.

Thanks to all who participated. 73, Jim N9JF
  1933    44  CW Mults = 51  Ph Mults = 17  Total Score = 265,880