[SECC] the adventures of winning the HPM award

Subject: [SECC] the adventures of winning the HPM award
From: ku8e at bellsouth.net (ku8e at bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:48:24 +0000
Greg,

 Congratulations on winning the HPM award. It's nice to see some young
contesters like KF4GTA, WY4N and yourself active in the SECC. I was licensed
when I was 16 years old - that seems like a distant memory now !!

 As the Fall contest season approches I would encourage those of you who have a
nice contest station that you might not be using some weekend to invite a young
ham over and get them interested in contesting. I'm still considered young (in
my 40's) compared to other contesters. I have a real concern about the future
of contesting because we are not getting many new young guys/girls taking an
interest in contests.

 I was lucky when I was growing up in Ohio to be able to operate and have
mentors like K8MR, K3LR, KS8S, AD8P, N8ET, W8FN, K8CC and W8AV. Being part of a
multi-operator team taught me many of the contesting skills I have today - both
operating and technical. I would have no idea how to work on towers or build
little interface boxes etc without that experience. Contesters we all know like
K5TR, W4AN (sk), KM3T and others experienced this in their youth as well and
that's why they are good contesters.

73, Jeff  KU8E  check 76