[SECC] Antennas & SS

Subject: [SECC] Antennas & SS
From: k1zzi at comcast.net (Ralph Bates K1ZZI)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:31:38 -0400
Excellent suggestions from K9AY and others about SS and antennas got me to
thinking a new approach....  First my setup.  I've been busy all summer setting
up a completely new station with a new crank up tower and antennas.  On the
tower I have a TH7 tri-band and a 3 element 40M Telrex yagi.  For my wire
antennas I put up an 80M Right Angle delta loop that Hal, N4GG modeled for me.
 I used a 1:1 balun and installed it 1/4 wavelength down from the apex or 12%
up from the base leg.  The base is nearly 30' above ground.  For an Equilateral
Triangle delta loop the feed point changes slightly when the apex angle
decreases and slides up to about 17.5% as previously pointed out.  This antenna
performs excellent and also works good on 40M.  More interesting info on Delta
Loops can be found here: http://www.cebik.com/scv/scv2.html  For 160M, I put up
a 1/2 wave V with the apex at 90' and ends slope to about 50'.  "IF" I hear 'em
with ALL the noise, I work 'em....but noise is a big problem and I need a much
better receiving antenna on 160M and possibly 80M for contesting.  Maybe a K9AY
Loop?

Gary's info on QRP got me thinking down a new path.  I never really gave any
consideration or thought to operating QRP in a contest.  "IF" 40M ends up being
a key band, I'm thinking QRP and a 3 element 40M yagi might work pretty good
for me in this category.  The 80M delta loop can be used as a second antenna on
40M to catch some Q's and save some rotor turning.  I'm undecided about this
but I think QRP for my situation maybe a good plan....?  It's certainly an
option that didn't occur to me.   Thanks Gary... good stuff.

73,
Ralph - K1ZZI