[SECC] 2006 GQP and Sponsor Financing

Subject: [SECC] 2006 GQP and Sponsor Financing
From: aldermant at alltel.net (Tommy)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:53:29 -0400
The 2006 GQP turned out to be a big success. With Mike/NE4S
successful advertising campaign, we had an increase participation of
nearly 30% over the previous year. And I know Mike is already working
on 'bigger and better' things for 2007. Mike has already scored a big
coup in being able to produce final scores within two weeks after log
submission deadline. K4BAI's assistance with submitted paper logs was
a big help in getting this accomplished.

The 2006 GQP, to my knowledge, has had the quickest scoring results
posted of any contest to date. All of the plaques shipped in the US
and Canada, should have already reached the winners. Plaques to
Europe should arrive within the next three weeks.

For this year, we had 24 generous sponsors for plaques and I
collected in excess of $1000.00 from the membership. A full financial
report was sent to both N4GG and NE4S. Based on plaque cost for 2005,
I asked for plaque sponsor donations of $40.00 each. For my first
year handling plaques for the  GQP, I enlisted a local (Valdosta)
trophy vendor, mainly so I could 'keep him under my thumb'! We were
able to produce and ship 23 plaques, 17 in the US and Canada, and six
to Europe; I hand delivered one in Valdosta. (There was one sponsored
plaque that had no entrants) The total cost to us, per shipped
plaque, was $30.44, so we have a 'surplus' of funds totaling $292.28.

Mike, Hal and I will be having discussions about how to improve the
GQP for 2007, including some additional 'different' prizes. However,
I anticipate dropping next year's plaque sponsorship to either $30.00
or $35.00, depending on what we decide for the 'special' prizes.

Since the SECC actually has no treasury, what has been suggested is
to offer each plaque sponsor a refund of $12.18. For those sponsors
wishing to have a refund, please email me direct and N4GG will issue
the refund.

If no one desires to have their refund, the surplus  of $292.28 will
sit in my checking account until the '07 GQP and will then be used to
either 1) finance the 'special' awards, or 2) drop the '07 sponsor
cost to the above mentioned amount, or both if possible. If I do not
hear from you, I will assume you agree to let the surplus ride until
the 2007 GQP.

I'm sure suggestions from the membership on how we could improve the
GQP, attract more participants, and provide 'neat' additional bonus
prizes, would be welcomed. Please send your suggestions to either
N4GG, NE4S or to me; any suggestion will be forwarded to NE4S.

Tom - W4BQF