[SECC] SS Club Competition - Going for the Gavel

Subject: [SECC] SS Club Competition - Going for the Gavel
From: RadioIR at charter.net (K4SAV)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:07:04 -0500
A half square is a relatively low gain antenna, at 50 feet about 3.6 dB
max gain.  The take-off angle is very low, about 18 degrees.  Compare
this to a dipole at the same height.  At 18 degrees elevation they are
equal.  Above 18 degrees the dipole wins big, and below 18 degrees the
half square wins by 3.4 dB at 10 deg, and by 5.6 dB at 5 deg. You are
correct that no radials are required if fed at the top corner.  If you
feed it at the bottom, you will need elevated radials to decouple the
feed line. I would not recommend bottom feeding this, feedline
decoupling is a major challenge. Even feeding it at the top you will
need some feedline decoupling, the impedance is different for the two
legs, so you need some chokes to avoid messing up the pattern, and
keeping RF off the feedline.  You need to bring the feedline away at
right angles to the antenna as well.

A 2 element wire vertical, ground mounted with an extensive radial
system, including wire and ground losses, elements fed 90 degrees apart
will produce only 2 dB gain at 25 degrees elevation, but with a very
wide lobe in the azimuth direction (182 degrees).  Feed them 130 degrees
apart and you can get 2.7 dB gain at 26 degrees elevation, with 136
degrees azimuth lobe width.  A vertical with elevated radials should be
similar, maybe just slightly less gain.

Consider a 2 element inverted vee beam, with the center at 50 ft and the
ends at 40 ft, and to make it simple to reverse directions making all
the elements the same length.  Now you have a choice.  If operated this
way it will very little F/B, but the gain will be good, about 8.9 dB at
35 degrees elevation.  At 20 deg 7.1dB, at 10 deg 2.4 dB, and 2.4 dB at
10 degrees.

To get some F/B you could include switched stubs to tune it, or just
operate it 14% above resonant frequency. If operated above resonance you
will have good gain and good F/B and it will make the SWR around 2.4 to
1.  Now you can use a matching network to reduce the SWR. For this case,
including wire and ground losses, gain will be 9.7 dB at 36 degree
elevation, with a beamwidth of 79 degrees in the azimuth direction.
Looking at the elevation again, the gain is 7.75 dB at 20 degrees, 6 dB
at 15 degrees, and 3 dB at 10 degrees.  If you droop the ends more, this
is equivalent to lowering the antenna.  The gain will go down a little,
and the elevation angle will go up some.

Comparison:

El Angle  Half Square  Dipole     2 Ele Vert    2 El Inv Vee 14% above
Freq.
30           2.1         5.7          1.9              8.7
20           3.6         3.8          1.8              7.1
15           3.5         2            1                5.4
10           2.3        -1           -.5               2.4

And the winner is ....

Jerry, K4SAV