[SECC] MidAtlQP K4AQ Single Op QRP

Subject: [SECC] MidAtlQP K4AQ Single Op QRP
From: Matt at HiWAAY.net (Matt Lee, K4AQ)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 17:06:01 -0400
                    Mid-Atlantic QSO Party

Call: K4AQ
Operator(s): K4AQ
Station: K4AQ

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WisVA (Norton, VA), EM86qw
Operating Time (hrs): 5.8 (25 max)

 Band  CW Qs  Ph Qs
--------------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   30     13
   20:           1
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
--------------------
Total:   30     14  Mults = 45  Total Score = 3,780

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

http://www.qsl.net/maqso/rules.htm

Phone Contacts   :   14 * 1 pt  = 14 (excludes mobiles)
CW Contacts      :   20 * 2 pts = 40 (excludes mobiles)
Qs with a Mobile :   10 * 3 pts = 30
-------------------------------------
Contact Points   :                84
Multipliers      :                45
-------------------------------------
Claimed Score    :              3780

Multipliers Worked
------------------
KENDE ANAMD CARMD CRLMD CECMD FREMD GARMD HARMD MONMD PRGMD
WASMD BURNJ CUMNJ GLONJ MIDNJ OCNNJ SALNJ ERINY QUNNY SFKNY
ALLPA BERPA BUXPA CARPA DCOPA ERIPA JEFPA LEHPA UNIPA YORPA
CUMVA IOWVA PRGVA ROAVA KANWV MGLWV PRSWV  DE  GA  MD
NJ  NY  PA  VA  WV

Was working TDY for two weeks in Wise County, Virginia during the
MidAtlQP. Operated QRP mobile from the Holiday Inn in Norton, VA, parked
parallel 10 feet on the northside of a two-story hotel brick building,
surrounded by hills and mountains. Vehicle pointed ENE.

Sunspots UP (approx 100) but there were geomagnetic
disturbances...dismal HF condx...so S&P 100 pct.

Had intended to use a field antenna for my QRP mobile operations on
160m/80m so did not enter as K4AQ/m. I was, however, very pleased with
the Hustler mobile antenna's performance, especially on QRP SSB so never
bothered with a field antenna.

Had several HEAVY thundershowers with GUSTY WINDS that passed through
the area; had to close the van's windows. Considerable QRN/QSB. The
FT-897D's DNR (DSP Noise Reduction) help minimize the QRN (static
crashes).

I used a large AGM battery that was independent of the vehicle's
charging system. It had 75 pct capacity remaining when I put it on the
AC battery charger after using it continuously for 8.5 hrs (including
break time).

To operate in the SSB bands, I used the SGC SG-211 MiniTuner (unbalanced
mode). It worked great and got the VSWR down to 1:1 on initial tuning
everytime. (The Hustler resonators are tuned for the CW bands.)

I did not operate on the second day because of poor band condx.

FT-897D transceiver operated at 5 watts into a Hustler mobile antenna
system (RM-20 & RM-40 resonators) mounted on a Diamond K-400 near the
top of the left rear door of a 15-psgr club wagon. Rig power provided by
a stand-alone AGM battery. Heil Pro-Set Plus headset. Tigertronics
SignaLink SL-1 sound card radio interface. microHAM USB rig interface.
Dell Latitude laptop powered by a 300-watt inverter. WriteLog 10.53e.

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ
Atlanta, GA USA