[SECC] Recent Sprint Contests

Subject: [SECC] Recent Sprint Contests
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Thu Jan 6 10:54:00 2005
Hello all:

Within the past ten days, there were two two-hour QRP Sprint Contests.

In the QRP Barbershop Contest, I made 25 QSOs with 18 mults on 40 and 80
meters in 1.2 hours of operating.  This contest gives bonus points for
"Barbers" (anyone having an "ESE" suffix call).  Think of the rhythm of
the CW dots in ESE and you will understand why this is special.  Joe,
AA4NN, our SECC member and W4QSL Bureau sorter has K5ESE.  My final
score with bonus points was 8150.  Don't have any other claimed scores,
but I believe Matt, K4AQ, intended to be active.  These contests are
held on every Fifth Wednesday, so the next contests will be March 30,
June 29, Aug 31 and Nov 30.  All but one of those come right after major
contests on the prior weekend, hi.

The Adventure Radio Society sponsors the Spartan Sprint contests the
first Monday local of each month for two hours.  This past Monday, there
was a lot of activity on 80 and 40.  Only nine total QSOs were reported
on 20 and I heard no activity on that band, which seemed to be dead
here.  Proving what has been said about Florida as a good contest QTH,
WJ9B, who has recently moved from NC to FL, made three of those nine QSOs.

The scores are reported two ways:  total QSOs.  And Divided by the
station weight, if all parts of the station equipment except the antenna
together weigh under 30 pounds.  Those of us using rigs over 30 points
all fall in the "tubby" category.  Here are the results of Monday's
contest for GA stations.  I worked nobody in AL and K0FRP/4 in SC
doesn't seem to have reported his score on time.

Call      QSOs      QSOs per pound
K4PQC     13        69.15
K4BAI     59         1.97
AE4Y       9         0.9
AF4PP     16         0.53
K4JPN     14         0.47

K4PQC, AF4PP, and K4JPN are in GA, and I hope they will join SECC if
they have not already done so.

73,

John, K4BAI.