[SECC] Re: improvements

Subject: [SECC] Re: improvements
From: roger.hoeft at intergraph.com (Hoeft, Roger V)
Date: Wed Jan 5 17:07:43 2005
Over the holidays, I got the 20M NE/SW loop back in the air and added
another 40M delta loop pointed NW/SE .  Went by a book's dimensions without
doing the math.  Needless to say, I added 3ft to the loop to make it
resonant at 7.150.   I'm hopeful of this one as the feedpoint is about 1/4
wavelength above ground and the loop is positioned in an inverted triangle
setting.

Regarding the "launch vehicle," I use a Zebco 33 reel with 17 lb. test
Spiderwire, and a Wrist Rocket slingshot.  I extended the reel beyond the
end of the slingshot with a dowel rod.  This keeps the line from getting
hung up in the slingshot or spinning reel. I use the Spiderwire because it's
light and STRONG.  Normal 10 -12 lb test line breaks easily, and anything
larger (20 - 25 lb test) slows down the release significantly.  If anyone
wants a digital pic of my setup, let me know and I'll get that on the wire
to you.

I have 8 wire antennas up in the yard using this setup.  Clearing a 90 ft
southern pine is no problem-oh.

Words of caution with this setup:
  If you get the line hungup in a tree, use heavy (thick) gloves to pull on
the line.  It will not break like normal fishing line; and you will cut your
fingers to the bone.

  I use an overhand-loop knot on the line for quick removal of the sinker (
3/4 - 1 oz bubble sinker).  If you do this, put a wrap of tape around the
sinker/knot.  I have cringed a couple of times when I released the line and
it went about 20 ft and there was no sinker on the line. Hearing large thuds
on neighbors' roofs from flying sinkers a few seconds later can be somewhat
embarrassing.

  The surgical tubing will eventually dry-rot and will have to be replaced.
Also you might get cuts in the tubing from the line.  Be mindful of this as
well.

  With southern pines, occasionally (once a month or so) give your ropes a
pull / release.  This will keep branches from growing over your ropes.

Oh, I tried the golf ball - eye screw set up ONCE.  I had a 1/8 inch nylon
cord tied to the screw and got it hung-up in a tree.  After many attempts to
pull the line down, it released, ball and all,  - right into my chest.  I
didn't realize the amount of stretch in the cord and the pine branches, and
the amount of potential energy stored up.  I was rubbing that bruise for a
number of days.  I'm very fortunate that I got hit in the chest and not a
few inches higher (throat, mouth, nose, cheek bones, eye, head).  I WOULD
NOT recommend this method.

73 es happy tree hunting.

        Roger ...
        KA9EKJ