[SECC] California QSO Party

Subject: [SECC] California QSO Party
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Wed Sep 8 23:12:47 2004
On Sep 8, 2004, at 9:27 AM, <ku8e@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>  I also propose we try to win the Sweepstakes medium class club
> category this year.

A very interesting proposition!

Looking back at last year, we placed seventh. We had 25 entries (13 in
CW, 12 in Phone) out of a maximum of 50.

Here's how the top 7 clubs looked:

Mad River Radio Club               3,610,468    44
Southern California Contest Club   3,478,684    33
Tennessee Contest Group            3,344,164    49
North Texas Contest Club           2,214,650    20
Central Texas DX and Contest Club  1,979,344    20
Frankford Radio Club               1,970,266    27
South East Contest Club            1,933,932    25

The FIRST thing we can do to raise our score is to increase the number
of entries. We can double them and still be in the Medium Club
category. If doubling the entries would double our score, then we would
win the Medium category with 3.8 M.

Of course, doubling the entries will most likely not double our scores,
but it will improve them.

The second thing we can do to raise our score is to be careful and only
submit the highest 50 scores for the South East Contest Club. We'll
only have to do this if we get more than 50 possible entries.

Note that the highest scores mean the highest in both modes. If you can
make a better score in CW than Phone (or vice versa)

The alternative is just to submit as many entries as possible and hope
we remain in the Medium category. This is the case where a few too many
scores may hurt. For example, if the FCG had submitted two less
entries, they would have won the Medium category, rather than coming in
last in the Unlimited category.

For THIS year, I think we'd do fine just to encourage everyone to
operate SS as much as they, can submit there scores, and see how things
turn out.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901