[SECC] My 2 cents

Subject: [SECC] My 2 cents
From: k9ay at k9ay.com (K9AY)
Date: Sat Sep 4 20:29:30 2004
HI gang,

This ex-Pres of the SECC has followed the club discussion with some interest.

The one and only key to the success of any club is leadership.  The bylaws and
other "formal" matters are minor -- it just takes a core of reliable and
enthusiastic hams, They can bring along dozens or hundreds of others -- SMC's
3-peat winning of the SS gavel was due to K9PG's ultra-enthusiam, multiplied by
a few others who added their energy so Paul didn't have to carry all the weight.

And it takes more than one leader, or at least strong supporters who do things
on their own initiative -- webmaster, newsletter editor, town crier (like K4BAI
and his regular informational posts), and guys who talk up their favorite
contests.  There are hams rady to do all these things in the SECC -- just take
the jobs and run with 'em!

Actually, SECC is not much different from the SMC up here, just a bit smaller.
SMC only has irregular in-person meetings, typically at Dayton and at the
W9DXCC convention.  Small groups get together as the opportunity arises at
hamfests or just for the heck of it.  And most club business gets done on the
reflector.  There are lots of members who are not very active, but they
occasionally participate in contests or just like to mingle with contesters.
That's OK.

I hope I'm still on the SECC roster.  Who knows, I might occasionally
contribute a score in a contest that doesn't have an "in the circle"
requirement.

73, Gary
K9AY
Verona, WI